Friday, May 29, 2015

Emergency Appendectomy

Monday, May 25th, I was on my 4th day of vacation, had plans to go to the beach with my daughter the next day. Around 4:00 I began feeling a wee bit uncomfortable in my abdomen. It stayed about an inch or 2 above my belly button. I can describe it as a fullness and an ache more than pain at that point. I thought maybe I was coming down with a intestinal virus so I wasn't too concerned. 
As the evening progressed, I noticed I couldn't get comfortable no matter what position I was in. I felt like I needed to vomit and when I did, I noticed some bright red blood. That alarmed me and at that point I put my sweet husband on alert. 
Around 11:00 pm, we decided to go to the ER. The belly pain was getting stronger. 
We got to the ER around 11:20 pm and was taken back relatively quickly. I was taken into a small exam room. I immediately noticed the "linens" on the gurney were stained, but I was too sick to care at that point. I made it a point to sit as far away from the stains as I could. The nurse came in and began the necessary barrage of questions. In between those, she was literally yelling at another patient or someone with a patient. A male wearing scrubs came in to the room. Unsure of what his title was. I heard him say to the nurse "let the million dollar workup begin" in a tone that was displeased. As sick as I was, I could tell that neither of these people enjoyed their job, nor cared to be there. I will share a personal "tmi" bit of info but it is important to me in this. I have weak pelvic muscles. I have had 3 children and coughing, sneezing, laughing, jumping and or vomiting will cause leakage when you aren't prepared. I wasn't prepared. I began vomiting and in the course, wet myself, the bed, the floor and my slippers. I was a bit embarrassed but not enough to ask for help. I asked the male "attendant" if I could have a Chux pad when he had a moment as I had soiled myself and the bed. He mumbled something and literally threw  it on the bed in a crumpled heap and walked out. I couldn't believe how UN-caring he was. 
Amidst everything going on, I remember being questioned as to why the anti nausea meds weren't working for me, as if I was lying about the nausea (even though I was actively vomiting). I remember the Dr asking if I wanted anything for the pain. I was hesitant at first but gave in. When the male "attendant" gave me the pain med through the IV, I asked what it was because I was feeling very strange around my neck. He said it was Morphine and that it was normal. He then made it a point to say that Morphine and Dilautid (?) were the drugs of choice for the druggies. Thanks. I enjoy being compared to a druggie.
After several rounds of Phenergan, Zofran and Morphine, I was so looped up, everything kind of blurred together. I vaguely remember an Ultrasound being done in the room, a surgeon coming in telling me I had appendicitis and needed surgery, the same surgeon and a nurse getting in to a heated discussion as to why I had not had a CT scan at that point. I recall being a bit panicky when they put me in the CT scanner and I was worried I would have to vomit and I wouldn't be able to sit up in the tube.  My daughter and her boyfriend came to the ER to bring me a change of clothes. I remember him sitting in the hallway and I was thinking at how uncomfortable he must've felt watching his girlfriends mom puke her guts out. 
At some point in the night, they put me on the Med/Surge wing. I had a room finally. I had to wait until morning to have the surgery. luckily, I don't remember much about the night, except waking u every 10 minutes to vomit and moan then I would pass out again. My sweet, sweet husband never left my side that night. 
At 8:00 am, I was wheeled away to the OR. I welcomed being put under. In the pre-op room, I was again being hit with the barrage of questions, over and over again. I thought to myself, "why can't all of these people stand together and ask me these questions ONE time". I couldn't hold my eyes open most of the time and they were becoming annoyed at me for not answering their questions. 
They finally wheeled me into the OR. The only thing I remember is the room was very cold. I woke up what felt like minutes later but it had been hours. It was over. I was in pain but not like the pain I was in. The nausea and vomiting were gone. I instantly felt better. 
Back in my room, I was surrounded by family and friends pretty much all day. The staff on the Med/Surge floor were amazing. The care I received in comparison to the ER was like night and day.  The nurses and all the other staff members went above and beyond to make me comfortable. I was released at 12:20 am, Wednesday the 27th of May. I am home now recovering and am happy it is all over.


  1. What a horrible way to be treated in the ER. Speedy recovery wishes!

  2. What a horrible way to be treated in the ER. Speedy recovery wishes!