Thursday, January 30, 2014

Winter Jam 2014

Yes, it's snow, in Georgia. A lot of snow for our area. It came on us pretty quickly and didn't stop for 8 hours. This photo is of I75 at 12:55 p.m. Complete and total gridlock. Everyone was released from work and school about the same time due to inclement weather. This is what happens when southern folk are let loose on roads that are covered in snow and ice. We have no experience driving in these conditions. The roads weren't pre-treated either. 

My normal drive time is 35 minutes on a decent day. 1/28/14 proved a lot different. My car never reached the 20 mph mark. Most of the way, I coasted, as everyone else. most of my time was spent tapping my brakes gently and praying. That was a scary drive home. Took a total of 4 1/2 hours. That was good compared to some other stories I read about. My poor husband works 3 miles from home and it took him close to 8 hours to get home.
Do you see this mess? I live at the top of that hill. It is still impassable as of  1/30/14. I made it safely off the interstate and pulled in to this. I had no choice but to abandon my car and start walking. Do you see all of the cars? 4 of them had people in them. The rest are stuck or abandoned. I was one of the lucky ones. A very kind man on a 4 wheeler picked me up half way home and took me as far as he could. What a kind soul!
This was at the top of the hill. Good thing no one else tried to navigate the road until it melted.
But even through all of the bad, I still found time to find beauty everywhere.
In my 49 years on this earth, I had official snow days. Today is my second full day at home. Feeling a bit of cabin fever but the sun is shining and the ice is melting. It's going to be a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment