Friday, January 3, 2014

Oh Winter

Born and raised a Florida girl. 20 minutes from the beaches, blocks away from a famous north flowing river with fantastic fishing, flip flops through December,etc.
I had winter clothes in my closet. Little did I know that they didn't really count as winter clothes. A couple of cutesy sweaters, a few long sleeve tshirts. Hey, that's all I needed in Florida. Our idea of cold was when the temps dropped below 50. If it got below 32, seriously, the schools closed. A couple of our schools serve as shelters so there was logic behind that one.
So, we move to Northern Georgia. I got to experience the cold last January when we moved here. I thought the winter would never end. I longed to feel the warmth of the sun on my face and feel the sand between my toes. After going through what seemed like an extremely long Winter, I was forced to buy real winter clothes. Leggings to wear UNDER my pants, wool socks, heavy coat, and sweaters that had no cutesy holes in them. I added some nice boots, ear muffs and some good gloves to my arsenal in December. 
It seems like we JUST got over Winter and we are at it again...
I have been here exactly 1 year. Out of those 12 months, 8 of them have had substantial cold weather in them. We had snow a week before Easter last year!
I shouldn't complain. I see what happens north of us. Those poor people. Losing power, snowed in their homes, I guess it's a way of life that you learn to live.
I for one, am ready for my Florida beaches again.

No comments:

Post a Comment