Monday, April 8, 2013

My heart is in Florida

I have been away for a while. I recently moved to another state. The first time in my adult life I have moved out of state. Ok, the first time in my LIFE I have moved out of state. I was born and raised in a small town. I had my children there and they have began the circle again with their own families. Life and the economy started spiraling down and after suffering for a couple of years, my husband thought it was best to relocate to find better opportunity. So, we set out January 6th, 2013. I went from a house (small, quaint and in much need of repairs) to a spacious apartment (which has a maintenance crew!. The first thing I realized is that ground level living is much easier on the joints. Top floor has a gorgeous view but oh the climb...
Second, Umm, the winter doesn't end after Christmas up here. As the matter of fact, we had snow flurries a week before Easter. My family was at the beach on Easter. Oh how I miss Florida.
I went from a 2 1/2 minute drive to work to leaving before daylight, anywhere from 12-18 lanes of traffic, 25 minutes to an hour each way.
Grocery shopping has become a game. How little can we purchase to survive a week? We have to carry those bags up 39 stairs. It may not seem like much but it is when your hands are full!
I can't go out in my pajamas to take the pup out anymore. My neighbors will talk about the new people on the third floor.
The shopping and scenery is wonderful though. Mountains, hills and rock formations, fantastic blossoms on the Cherry Trees, Dogwoods and another round of trees waiting to bloom right behind them. Giant bumble bees buzzing around looking for sweet nectar, birds chirping at all times of the day and night. It IS a beautiful place.
But I can't help but miss my little quaint home that is filled with my children taking care of it for us. The leaky roof, the tiny bathroom, the kitchen and the plumbing that needed attention. The yard that had more weeds than grass.
I miss Florida.
I will push forward and give this phase in my life a chance but I won't close the door on my home. It is still there, waiting for us to fill it up again if we choose to return.

No comments:

Post a Comment